Beaumont, TX asked in Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: My boyfriend and I went half on a home in cash how can l protect myself if he decided to sell with out my consent

Both our names are on the deeds

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: You will be happy to know that if both of your names are actually on the deed, and the same deed has been filed in the county wherein the property is, then the property could never be sold without your signature. ( Unless someone commits fraud or forges your signature. )

If you are unsure as to whether or not the deed was filed with your name on it, call the Title company to confirm your ownership. If that does not work, then you can ask the county clerk for a copy of the most recent deed that was filed for the property.

If you are still worried, you should ask the clerk for a copy of any liens or mortgages that have been filed on your property. All of that information is open to the public.

I hope this helps. If you need more information you can email my office at

- Attorney John Cucci, Jr., Esq.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.