Columbus, GA asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia

Q: Define: "there shall be free and open communication and contact between both parents and the children at all times"

Decree says Under the parenting time arrangement. "there shall be free and open communication and contact between both parents and the children at all times" A separate "ordered and adjudged" paragraph requires us to discuss all major decisions & try our best to agree, etc. Couple pages over, a 3rd ordered and adjudged outlines the right of the parent not having custody at the moment to contact the children & defines reasonable access. He has always used the free and open communication "at all times" as I'm in contempt if I don't text him back or let him know any & everything! Even when he has them, he'll text/call to tell me about some dumb arrow he bought them & I'm in contempt if I don't communicate. It's RIDICULOUS my boys are also old enough, they have their own phones. He has free access to them at ANY time. I'm just looking for clarification, because I'm beyond exhausted from this. Thanks

1 Lawyer Answer
Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You may want to consult with an attorney who can review your arrangement and provide you with guidance. There needs to be open communication, but that doesn’t mean you have to be texted non-stop with every little thing. Perhaps he is doing this because he knows it irritates you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.