Mira Loma, CA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for California

Q: I’m 17 and want to move out I have a steady job, good grades, and a place to stay. Can my mom legally force me to stay?

Im going to be 17 in 9 months, but I’d like to leave my home now. I would have a steady place to live and a full way of getting to school. Is there any legal way my mom can force me back if I runaway without her knowing?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, you can be forced back, unless you are a legally emancipated minor. There are forms on the Court website and information online on how to do this. I suggest you should contact a local attorney to discuss your personal situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.