Proctorville, OH asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: Retaliatory $100 rent increase after inspection. Any recourse?

I complained to my elderly landlady how cold my tiny rental house (mo.-to-mo., no lease) was this winter, and the vents clogged with dust. Nothing was done. So I applied for a low-income energy inspection through an OH state dev. program (COAD). I got approved & an inspection date. I informed her of the upcoming inspection when paying rent. COAD spent 4 hours in the house & found high carb.monoxide, no insulation in flr/wall & lots of things to upgrade- $1000's of free work. As I waited for their confirmation notice, so I could go tell her the good news, they instead sent her a bunch of docs to sign to begin work. She freaked out, came over enraged and said "who do you think you are arranging to have all this work done to my house. This is my house & you have no right. If you don't like the way it is you can leave." I explained that I informed her about the inspection ahead of time but she claims I did not and called me a liar. I feel she will try to evict me & steal my deposit too.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: With only a month to month lease, there is no guarantee of rent, and no limit on any rent increases, even if they seem retaliatory. A month to month tenancy can be terminated by either landlord or tenant by giving 30 days notice in writing. So try to work it out with landlord after she calms down, or talk to local rental assistance agencies about finding a new place.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.