Moreno Valley, CA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for California

Q: I’m a single unwed mother of a 10month infant. What rights do I have if my sons father is taking me to court for 50/50

Me and my son reside in riverside county and I work from home and have had him since birth. His father resides in la county and works full time and is barely home. Hardly sees his son only recently started after filing paperwork to take me to court .he wants to circumcise my son who is 10 months old. Fully change his legal name that is already hyphenated to something completely different. Take my son for a full week on and off.50/50 legal and physical custody and have me pay for the attorney fees and the child tax credit I received for my 2020 tax’s he wants to be paid to him

1 Lawyer Answer
Tobie Brina Waxman
Tobie Brina Waxman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Culver City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Retain legal counsel. You need to make the right arguments, properly submit your evidence and properly cite the law in responding to the father's requests. A 50/50 schedule between two counties for a 10 month old is unlikely going to be seen by the judge as in the child's best interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.