Cincinnati, OH asked in Estate Planning for Kentucky

Q: Is there a simple form to be an executor of a deceased person and I am the next of kin.

He didn't have anything of value or an estate. We had custody of his son long before his death. I only need to file his last taxes and deal with any refunds. He was considered at or near poverty level. I am his mother and I took care of the funeral and burial. I filed his death with social security and survivor benefits for his son. He only had unemployment the last year of his life and only for a few months. I have his W2 from unemployment. The clerk at Kenton County told me I have to start probate. They want me to pay 75 dollars to open a probate case and he didn't have anything to probate but maybe a 1-2000 dollar refund. I only need to be able to do this. He didn't have but a couple hundred dollars in his bank account and I haven't bothered to see if he still does. That is it. There has to be something simpler to do than all that probate for what? He passed away 10-3-20.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You should be able to file a Dispense with Administration form if he did not have any estate. That will also enable you to file his final tax returns.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.