Cleveland, OH asked in Small Claims for Ohio

Q: My ex boyfriend never disclosed his HIV status to me in our relationship. How to take legal action?

We engaged in sex multiple on many occasions before my knowledge of his status and he had even avoided using condoms beforehand as well. I’m not HIV positive however feel like I still should get justice and protect others along the path. How can I go about getting justice? I know nothing about filing lawsuits. I was told small claims court was necessary but it’s all confusing. The event occurred in Cleveland, OH but he did recently move out of state. I need help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Your unlikely to win much in a lawsuit if you did not in fact get sick because your damages are hard to calculate. But you could call the police. Felonious Assault 2nd degree felony punishable by 2-8 years:

(B) No person, with knowledge that the person has tested positive as a carrier of a virus that causes acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, shall knowingly do any of the following:

(1) Engage in sexual conduct with another person without disclosing that knowledge to the other person prior to engaging in the sexual conduct;

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.