Q: Hi, I see I must keep this brief. Can a LEO order me inside my house on my property when not involved in anything.

Had to erase previous detailed explanation for lack of space. Will try to keep to pertinent details.

My son was followed few miles by officer who was attracted to expired plate. As soon turns into my driveway where son lives officer stops him in street right at driveway. Son texts me in trouble to come outside. I come out walk down drive in very non threatening manner. Officer orders me back inside house. I said once “ sir I’m on my property just going to talk with son”. He again orders me back inside and I go back up without word. Jist is son had small amount of weed in car. A few joints worth and one piece pot paraphernalia. Son confessed and handed these to officer and gave consent to search car. Had I been allowed to approach son in car without ever stepping off my own property I would have told him not to confess or consent to search. Did officer have a legal right to force me to retreat on my own property where I had did nothing wrong and was not involved and non thr

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.