Manor, TX asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: I was listed as a co-signer on a rental lease in Texas for my daughter, and now she is being sued for back rental paymen

I was listed as a co-signer on a rental lease in Texas for my daughter, and now she is being sued for back rental payments in excess of $45,000. I was never aware that I was a co-signer and thought I was just listed on the lease as being an occupant since I only stayed there a few weeks a month to look after my grandchildren...The rental agreement shows that I am a co-signer but I never signed anything and my daughter sent the documents to a rental company with my name signed electronically..I do not have any money to pay for backed rent for her...What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr.

A: Hi:

I am a parent also.

So if you never signed anything at all, then you can probably get out of this mess. If you did sign, you need to defend yourself if the lawsuit has been filed. If you get served with sue-papers, do not ignore them. Get to a lawyer, and defend yourself.

There are time limits for Answering a lawsuit. If you blow the deadline, the company suing you can get a Default Judgment against you. That is BAD. You should try to find a local lawyer that will give you a free consultation, to find out more details on your obligations. Often, the company suing, will give you a break because of your situation. But that does not always happen. You must protect yourself first by Answering the Lawsuit in writing.

If you can not find a lawyer you like you can contact my office.


Attorney John Cucci, Jr., Esq.

(631) 339-6228 mobile w/ text

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.