Tampa, FL asked in Criminal Law and Collections for Florida

Q: After being sentenced to jail time and serving my sentence are the court cost covered or am I still obligated to pay it

It was criminal possession felony possession upon which I did the in-house drug treatment program at Hillsboro County falkenburg road jail. I received a letter stating that my license will be suspended if I don’t pay this amount in full by December and it’s $1400 it claims hasn’t been resolved. I’m a single dad with four kids. Since my release I have obtain custody of the kids and the mother is actually delinquent on child support payments. With Christmas right around the corner and the rising cost of living that not having a license becomes a hardship for my family and my ability support. It was under the assumption that all the court costs are covered in my sentence which was a year in county with release upon completion of in house drug treatment program. Is this a clerical error or do I have to pay this $1400 it claims i am Delinquent on

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Why would you assume the costs are covered? The costs are part of your sentence. Yes, you have to pay them. The costs are not waived "just because"

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.