Pico Rivera, CA asked in Real Estate Law for California

Q: Can a parent living in my home have the right to to tear down the ceiling with no intent to fix it?

I’m told my father can do anything to the property because he lives in my home.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Sooo many issues. Who owns the property? They have the right to say who can make changes to the property. You say "my home" what does that mean? Do you own it? Are you over 18? You can evict your father if you own the property and are over 18. If your father is damaging the property you can evict him like a bad tenant, probably on a 3 day notice. Your father does not have special rights to live in "your" home because he is your father, he is just like any other roommate or tenant, and you can evict him. Not very pleasant, but you have rights too, one of them is called the "right to the quiet enjoyment" of your home. You should probably consult with a Landlord/tenant attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.