Clio, MI asked in Child Custody for Michigan

Q: Applying for emergency custody of children

I have a friend who was in a relationship, the gf went to work on the 10th and since hasn’t returned home, she has 3 kids, and has left the two youngest home with my friend since, they have since broken up, and the gf still refuses to come get her children from my friend who is not a legal parent of the kids. They we’re together for 4 years, is there anything my friend can do about getting custody of the kids being she is not an actual parent and the mother of the children hasn’t returned home in almost 2 weeks? My friend tried to leave the boys with their father and the police where called by a neighbor bcus the boys where screaming, the father then turned the kids back over to my friend who has had them since.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: That's a tough situation. What does he want to do? He may need to call CPS, who will take custody of the kids and initiate action on the mother (and father). If he wants to keep them, he could consider petitioning for guardianship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.