Katy, TX asked in Employment Law, Contracts and Tax Law for Texas

Q: Can employer go back on commitment in writing on issuing W-2c ?

An individual worked respite hours taking care of elderly in 2020 but insurance company did not pay for hours worked. in 2021, insurance company agreed to pay for hours worked in 2020. By this time, individual was enrolled in school full time and had a financial aid package and grants in place. Insurance company was made aware of the fact that individual would not be able to accept the payment from insurance company if it was treated as income in 2021 because it would compromise his financial package and grants. Insurance company agreed and put language in authorization for payment showing it was for the services performed in 2020. initially, the employer of individual refused to issue W-2c for the year 2020. latter, the employer informed individual in writing, they would be issuing W-2c. After receiving the check from the insurance company, the employer issued a check to individual without issuing W-2c. when individual demanded W-2c be issued, employer refused. we need help.

1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II

A: You should contact a local employment law or tax law attorney to help you. This BB is not for providing specific legal information for you to deal with a particular claim. Search for a local attorney on this issue here on Justia.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.