Tampa, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: How to reopen a closed divorce that was not finalized

I filed for divorce in 2019 and my other half was never served as they couldn’t locate him due to him being homeless. I didn’t pursue it much further and now the case is closed, but It wasn’t finalized. It was closed due to lack of activity. Do I reopen the case or start a new petition?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It should be less expensive to reopen as opposed to beginning a new case. Check the fees with your local clerk's office. You will still need to serve him. There are other methods such as service by publication when a person cannot be found. Look for a free consultation with a local family attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.