Ellwood City, PA asked in Estate Planning for Pennsylvania

Q: Mom passed Jan 2021.Owned Prudential Life Ins stock.To date PLI says stock not sold yet; we cannot settle estate.

All requested paperwork/forms has been forwarded to PLI. Folks buy sell stock everyday. Why would it take this long? Any info on this type situation / stock sale would be helpful. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
  • Boyertown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If your mother held shares of stock in her name, and held the original stock certificates, you don't need to look to Prudential to sell that stock. Any stockbroker could do the sale for you, or at least, for the court-approved personal representative of the estate.

If, on the other hand, the stock was held in some sort of retirement/profit-sharing plan controlled by Prudential, then you may be stuck with waiting for Prudential to liquidate your mother's account.

Chat with a stockbroker, and see what he/she says.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.