Austin, TX asked in Employment Law for Washington

Q: I live in Washington state, and my boss is stealing my money from my paycheck.

He’s not giving me my overtime pay as well, when I work 90-100 hrs every 2 weeks. Also when I ask for a pay stub I get nothing from him. This also isn’t just happening to me either. He fired someone for confronting him about it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brad S Kane
Brad S Kane
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: It is illegal to retaliate against an employee for asking about their pay in good faith. You should keep your own written records of your hours worked to help document your claims for unpaid wages and overtime. In addition, you should put your pay concerns in writing to assist you with bringing a retaliation claim if you are fired for raising the issues. Further, you should begin looking for another job as your employer is not someone you want to work for in the long term. Finally, you should carefully consider the timing of sending your concerns to your employer and your financial needs in case you are fired and need to pay your bills.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.