Baltimore, MD asked in Real Estate Law for Maryland

Q: Changing title to condo in Annapolis Maryland after wife passes

The property was held as tenants in the entirety.

I never received a deed after the closing in August 2021.

The estate is small and will not go to probate. Financial and equity accounts have already been handled administratively with the respective institutions.

What are the steps needed to retitle the condo property to my name only

Thanks for your help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Two options: (1) record the deceased owner’s original certified death certificate in the land records, or just keep it handy for the day you elect to sell or refinance the condo, which is sufficient proof to establish you as the sole surviving owner; or (2) pay a lawyer to prepare a deed to record in the land records reflecting the death and sole ownership of the property by you. The latter option will cost you the lawyer’s fee ($250-500 depending on the lawyer) plus the $60 recording fee. There’s no legal requirement that you do anything, but some surviving owners prefer to clarify sole ownership with a formal deed so as to make future transactions involving the property simpler (although producing a death certificate is not very difficult).

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.