Saint Johns, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: I was divorced in 2011 and at that time I decided to have my maiden name restored.

On the first page of The Final Judgement on line #7 it says "The wife's former name of () is restored".

Does that mean my name was officially changed at that time? Was I supposed to do anything else to complete the name change in the state of Florida? The reason I'm asking is because I saw that when a person changes their name they must publish the name change in the local newspaper. However, I didn't know that and I did not publish my name in the local paper.

Conversely when I got married in 1996 and took my husband's last name was I also supposed to do the same thing by publishing the name change in the paper. If memory serves I changed my name with the Social Security Administration and the Department of Motor Vehicles but I don't remember what documents were required to do so.

Thank you for your time.

Ms Jennings

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Thank you for a very interesting question.

Proceedings for change of name are governed by Florida Statute 68.07. That statute in full can be found here:

The statutes pertaining to dissolution of marriage are found here:

I see nothing in those statutes which requires publication of the name change in a newspaper. So yes, in my opinion your name changes are good.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.