Elk Grove, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: 90 days rule for adjustment of status and applying for parents greencards

We just became US citizens and I want to adjust the status of my parents by getting them their greencards. I read about the 90 days rule, is it absolutely necessary and if I file before that will USCIS deny their greencards? They have been travelling on a B2 visa for more than 15 years and never overstayed or shown any intent to stay here. How do we file earlier than the 90 days and show that there was no immigrant intent?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI

A: Here is a good article on this subject:


If you still have questions or concerns after reading this article, I recommend you do a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney. Best wishes!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.