Monroeville, AL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: Can I get emergency guardianship over my husband who has Huntington’s disease?

The disease destroys brain cells and causes mental and psychological and behavior problems. I had to leave him at one point for more than a year and when I came back the house and finances were wrecked. He would have lost his house if he hadn’t refinanced. He let’s me handle the finances now and I had everything under control but he put $21,000 on a credit card he paid off in May 2021 and won’t stop spending. Now we don’t have enough to pay the bills this month and buy groceries. He refuses to look at my chart which shows everything in simple form but he went into a rage and said he knows what our budget is which he doesn’t. The rage and inability to properly handle finances is part of Huntington’s. I don’t want to see us lose everything because his spending is out of control.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Liang
Linda Liang
  • Boca Raton, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You can if the court says so. You should go to the court to try to obtain guardianship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.