Brooklyn, NY asked in Family Law for New York

Q: i want to ask what should i do if i feel my kids father is being demanding and stalking us?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: What the asker should refrain from doing is calling cops for help. Government does not help, and a defenseless mother and her children is raw meat for the government meat grinder. Perhaps the asker should reason with the father and point out the last-chance possibility of police action in a respectful way.

New York is one of few states that throw in the criminal kitchen sink into its family offense statute, Article 8 of the Family Court Act. Iowa, for example, limits its family offense statute to "assault" (Chapter 236) which prevents many frivolous petitions for orders of protections to flow. In New York several dozen criminal statutes are includable in a family offense petition, and that encourages excessive and unnecessary intrusion of government into peoples' lives. That's the intent, and the asker should stay away to be safe from government.

Government will demand and stalk with impunity, and the father will find the intrusion very entertaining.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.