Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for California

Q: My lawyer has given little effort does not makes things understandable. I have no idea what’s going on

He doesn’t respond to calls or emails. Doesn’t explain anything. Didn’t try at all. Works for prosecutors and always wants to represent me without me there and is making me take a deal I don’t want saying it’s the best deal. I am lost and have heard from lawyers in his office that he is just trying to “get it over with”. My question is if my lawyer isn’t doing anything for me but trying to force a conviction and I know that I was not willingly or knowingly committing the crimes I’m being charged with what do I do? I have 4 days to file an appeal. And it’s been months and I truly have no idea what evidence is being used why I’m being solely blamed. Lastly whether or not the deal is actually a deal and not just a form of progression in his career.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: much more info is needed.

is this a private lawyer or court appointed?

if Public Defender, you could have asked for a new lawyer.

are you appealing because you pled?

i would always try to appear on behalf of my client to save them the inconvenience of coming to court and waiting around all day...for appearance after appearance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.