Los Angeles, CA asked in Family Law for California

Q: can child support arrears be dismissed or reduced in california

my ex owes me 65,000 in child support arrears and 150,000 in spousal support arrears. both children have already emancipated and are in college. he has stopped paying spousal support over a year ago and only benn paying 200 in child support arrears. the original order was for 4800 monthly before he lost his job but he now has a new job and is still only paying 200 and nothing towards spousal. what can i do to garnish his wages for spousal support with his new employer.?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tobie Brina Waxman
Tobie Brina Waxman
  • Culver City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can obtain a new wage assignment order. Child Support Services (DCSS) can assist you with this at no charge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.