Oak Park, IL asked in Immigration Law for Illinois

Q: If you overstay your esta by two days because you took a second covid vaccine, is it possible to get a tourist visa

the individual lives in Japan and was visiting chicago. While in Chicago she took the moderna vaccine in february and the second vaccine in March. Unfortunately there were no flights leaving for Japan until two days after she had the second vaccine. It was important to take the vaccine here because she was over 70 and the Japan had not started giving the vaccine at that time.

She tried to get the tourist visa in June to return for a wedding in June but the US consulate did not grant the tourist visa. At that time, we believe, they were only granting visas for emergency cases since they had limited appointments.

Now that the U.S. is opening up to international visitors, we are hoping that this is a better time to apply for a tourist visa.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: More information is needed. Was she denied a B2 visa last June? Or simply told that she couldn’t apply?

ESTA is/was possible, but confusion may have created a record that may invalidate the privilege to use ESTA.

As a result, I strongly recommend a teleconference with a competent and immigration attorney before there are any other complications.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.