Albrightsville, PA asked in Family Law for New York

Q: I'm trying to file a lawsuit for grandmother visitation rights. I live in PA & my grandchildren live in NY.

The form says I must file a personal information form with this petition. – (attached) What is a personal information form? Is it a specific form that I can find online or do I just write the information on this current form? Or on a separate blank piece of paper? If so, what personal information does the court want? What does the word attached mean? Does it mean a separate piece of paper added to the form?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: The asker seeks the filing of a §651(b) petition for grandparent access in family court in New York. She specifically asks for help in completing a form and that we cannot do. Such an act would create an attorney-client relationship with the asker, and that is not the purpose of this website which is informational and educational.

The asker must seek out a New York attorney to assist her in filing such a petition. The foray into family court will be lengthy and expensive as there are two trials the case will call for: the exigency hearing and then the best interests hearing. We cannot go on to provide hip-pocket advice as to how to conduct those.

The asker must see an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.