Oakland, CA asked in Probate for California

Q: My roommate’s mother died recently. How can he find if there was a will or claim a right to the estate?

My roommate’s mother passed away a couple months ago. He and his brother are her only surviving family, but they are estranged due to my roommate coming out as a gay man. He believes that she had no will. When my roommate went home for the funeral, he discovered his mother’s home had been cleared out by his brother. His brother then put the home on the market 2 weeks after her passing and it sold quickly. It seems as if the brother is trying to take advantage of the situation and exclude my roommate from inheriting anything. He has found out about all of this from friends who still live in the area. Can you recommend real steps he should take, keeping in mind he kind of shuts down when I press him to look into it? Thank you.