Erie, PA asked in Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Intestate estate, brother is the Administrator and lived with the deceased, who has no spouse or children.

There are a nephew and niece who had preceded their parents. They have been estranged for decades from the the brothers. Nephew wants his 1/4. Niece just had her accountant by email saying the niece "wants no communication with the entire family. "I emailed back saying I asked the accountant if the niece can simply sign she doesn't anything about the estate or its money, which is very modest. If we get her or a hearing that the statement or signature, does the Uncle - Administrator get the 1/4 of her, or does the nephew and Uncle share? Uncle doesn't want any more than nephew as the law says. I also can say that the Brother is the only person living with the deceased till death, so I think Uncle should have the full Family Discount. These small estates can be tough !

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery

A: It sounds like an Action for a Sale For Partition is in order. Once Heirship is determined, one or more Heirs should file the Action against the others. Hire a competent PA attorney that knows real property litigation. Hopefully the lawyer can be paid through sale proceeds. In this case, Partition might make everyone happy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.