Van Nuys, CA asked in Employment Law and Family Law for California

Q: My husband past back in 2018 we got married in 2016. My question is if I can get any money from mother in law

I worked for her without being on payroll ... She sold the mobile home trailer park and she's only giving me a unlivable trailer old trailer that needs a lot of work done..

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen
  • Westminster, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can do several things to recover money for work performed.

You could hire an attorney to make a demand and negotiate a settlement.

You could file an administrative wage claim with the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement.

You could file a lawsuit, and depending on how much money is involved, you could do that in small claims court or the superior court.

You need to move quickly because statutes of limitation will start causing you to lose some of your damages very soon, if not already.

At this point it would be a good idea to locate and consult with an experienced employment law attorney as soon as possible to explore your facts and determine your options. I would suggest you look either on this site, or go to, the home page for the California Employment Lawyers Association, an organization whose members are dedicated to the representation of employees against their employers.

Most employment attorneys who practice this area of law offer a free or low cost consultation in the beginning and then, if the matter has merit and value, will usually agree to work on a contingency basis, meaning you can hire an attorney without paying any money until the matter results in a positive outcome for you. Many advance all the costs of the litigation as well. Do not let fear of fees and costs keep you from finding a good attorney.

Good luck to you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Brad S Kane
Brad S Kane
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You are entitled to payment of at least minimum wage and the very limited credits against wages for room and board require a written agreement.

You will need to prepare an estimate of your hours worked and hopefully you have texts or other communications that confirm that you were working for your mother in law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.