Manassas, VA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Virginia

Q: I served tenant a 30 day non-remedial breach for violations, am I entitled to remaining rent due on entire lease? Sect 8

Rented to sect. 8 tenant. Tenant violated rental agreement: damaged property, didn't carry renters insurance, pest control as required, late fees (rent late each month), spouse residing in property but not on lease and failure to maintain yard. Sherriff served notice.Tenant said they moving but won't pay remaining lease on rental agreement... and directed me to use security deposit to pay for damages. Am I entitled to remaining months of rent due to tenants breach and recovery for damages? Security deposit is less than damage estimate. How do I legally obtain forwarding address and pursue remaining rent and damages?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: I do not handle Section 8 matters. Sorry.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.