Greensburg, PA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: After I move out during an eviction, with no scheduled court date, do I need to pay the remaining rent balance?

I’ve recently been evicted and I have no known court date. I am 18 and have no idea what I am doing or what’s going to happen. I have a place to live but I need to know if I’ll need to pay my remaining rent due which I was evicted for not paying rent. The balance is a lot and there’s really no way I can afford to pay it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If you don't pay the rent that you owe, the landlord might decide to sue you for it. Usually that claim for money is filed along with an eviction lawsuit. So you might get a notice of a future court hearing on how much you owe. Or the landlord might not bother to pursue that unpaid rent, if you advise him or her that you have no money and can't pay. If you don't give the landlord your forwarding postal address where you move, it will make it a bit more difficult for the landlord to try to track you down to collect it. But the landlord could, depending on how much you owe. The landlord could get a court judgment against you, and use that to try to collect from you if you even do have money to pay. The landlord can wait and try to collect on that judgment years from now. But that is a lot of legal hassle for a landlord. Unless you owe several thousand, most landlords will just write it off and move on. But your landlord could be the exception.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.