Covington, LA asked in Divorce for Louisiana

Q: Divorced over a year ago and no financial settlement.

My ex filed, which I agreed to at the time, even though he cheated on me. The divorce was granted over a year ago, he is remarried and refuses to respond to the proposed settlement agreement. I have not been able to get an appointment nor response from my lawyer in six months as to what, if anything, can be done to move forward. I ended up with all our bills after he cleaned out our bank accounts. One debt for $43k is in collections for a camper that is community property, unfortunately only in my name. I am concerned collections is going to file against me to garnish my wages or somehow collect. I was previously told by my lawyer I cannot take it out of my 401k since that is part of the settlement. I just don't know what to do, if anything. Is this normal or do I have other options?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If your attorney will not respond to partition the community, then hire a new one

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.