Asked in Real Estate Law for California

Q: Am I entitled to half the house of boyfriend and I split?

Hello. My boyfriend and I purchased a home together. He was unable to alone because of his credit, so he asked me to be on the house too so I did. He keeps threatening me saying he’s the one investing the money (he knew my finances up front and was fine with him paying for fixing things up) and saying it’s not fair if we split that I get part of it. Does he have any legal ground to stand on in getting everything after we split? I pay for bills and pay a little less than half the mortgage. He makes significantly more than me so we decided up front a plan for what both of us would pay and he was fine with it…then. Now he’s complaining. It’s both our house, so am I entitled to something if we split? Also, if he may be credited money, is they something I would owe him or would that come from when the house was sold? We both pay towards the mortgage, not just him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich
  • Studio City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, if you are on title you would be entitled to something. however, if he made all the payments, he could be credited for those. you would need to have a full consultation with a real estate attorney as to your rights and the specific facts of the matter.

Gerald Barry Dorfman agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.