Hutchinson, MN asked in Estate Planning for Florida

Q: My wife's father died in Ft Myers FL, 3 yrs ago. His attorney was William Meeham who passed away last yr.

What attorney took over Mr Meeham's files as we have an estate question about a CD in my father-in-law's that the bank won't transfer to his surviving spouse?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Phillip William Gunthert
Phillip William Gunthert
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You will likely need to speak with a new Florida Probate Attorney and they can answer or re-open the probate estate if needed and if the issue cannot be resolved without re-opening the estate. If this is a newly discovered asset, will need to be addressed by the probate court, if the asset was listed and addressed in the probate then you should be able to just use and provide the documents that you have from the probate court. My concern is that you have a new asset that was previously unknown and therefore you need to likely go back to the court. As far as an attorney who took over the files, there may or may not be one and you would have to check with the Florida State Bar. This appears to be more of an issue where you need a Florida Probate Attorney to answer some questions and then if necessary reopen probate for this one asset, any attorney who works in probate can help you with this undertaking.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.