Asked in Consumer Law for Tennessee

Q: Can hyundai withdraw a settlement offer after it is sent to me, accepted, signed and returned?

The settlement offer is for the rental car, tow bill and hotel rental due to not being able to get a rental car for 31 days. After sending me the settlement offer and it being accepted, signed and returned the case worker has now decided that she will only pay me $1369.00 instead of the proposed offer of $3329.00. She has threatened to close my case and deny my claims if I don't accept her new offer. If I do that then I will be out of pocket an additional $2463.00 for the hotel charges. I am a front line employee at the hospital which is 35 miles from my home. If I hadn't stayed there I wouldn't have a job. I would have been fired because it was 31 days before I received a rental car approval. Is this something I should agree to? I have the settlement offer that she sent and also a copy of the signed offer which states it is good for 60 days. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Hopefully the Settlement Contract does not have a condition which allowed the Company to dishonor its agreement. You will have to hire an attorney to enforce the Settlement in General Sessions Court for Breach of Contract, and possibly execute upon some property of them. It is doubtful you will come out with much recovery, and they know this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.