Buford, GA asked in Family Law for Georgia

Q: FACTS: My Ex passed away last week without a will. We have 2 children (17 & 14 yrs). I have a child support order.

The ex's brother has taken all of the documents from the home so I have no idea what is there for my kids. I have asked to see docs and the brother says his lawyer advised him against showing us anything. What rights do I have to be a part of my kids inheritance decisions since there is no will and they are minors? What happens to the child support order that was in place wile he was alive?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You should discuss this with an attorney who can review the facts with you and present you with your options. Considering your children are minors you may have some options, but we would need to know more about the facts of the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.