Marietta, GA asked in Divorce for Georgia

Q: I am considering a divorce due to my husband and inlaws cruelty and want to secure my assets. I am a US Citizen

My husband and inlaws are from India and he received his citizenship through me. I paid his greencard fees and then he got a Citizenship. I was the primary breadwinner while he tried to get his career. Once he got into medical residency he brought his parents to the USA on a visitor visa. Once they arrived they started threatening me with divorce if I did not obey their orders and leave me empty handed. I had paid rent for two years, all the utilities, gas and purchased our first car with a downpayment and then paid the rest. My spouse has never threatened me but his parents from another culture wanted me to follow their practices. I want to know if this is considered fraud or extortion in Georgia? How do I prove it? The marriage took place in 2010. If it is too late to prove fraud then in a divorce - will I be compensated for all the money I earnt/they took since I supported his career? My spouse is a doctor. I have proof I paid from my separate bank account I got before marriage.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You should consult with an attorney who can review the facts of the case in detail and present you with your options and proper course of action for a divorce. We would need to know more about the case and details in order to provide you with assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.