Stockton, IL asked in Probate for Massachusetts

Q: My Dad died with a will leaving everything to my stepmother. Can't I still inherit part of his estate?

She just sent me a legal paper to sign giving up my rights to any of his holdings. He still owes my mother $80k for back child support.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: So, did your mother pursue a Contempt action to establish the arrears? Is she living and able to pursue the claim against her former husband's estate? If not, are you the Personal Rep of her estate? You really need to discuss the whole issue with a Probate attorney ASAP as there is a one year from the date of death statute of limitations for creditor claims and you definitely should not wait to find out what you or mother can do to address the arrears.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.