Brooklyn, NY asked in Medical Malpractice for New York

Q: I have a tort claim and looking for case laws in New York State on medical negligence.

The department of corrections have it in my medical summary acknowledging my epilepsy. But put me on a top bunk and I fell after catching an epilepsy attack. Suffering severe injuries and on medication

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I'm sorry your question remains open for three weeks, and for the injuries you suffered. I wish you the best in your recovery. It could be difficult to obtain the most recent case law holdings on given legal issues on these types of public forums - law firms could feel uncertainty as to whether their offices' most recently applied court decisions reflect the latest holdings of appellate courts. Also, it's worth noting that claims with municipal agencies are governed by short deadlines and notice of claim periods. Based on the wording here, it's possible you are already represented, and that your claim is underway in the hands of an attorney. That isn't fully clear. But if not, it would be worth thinking about contacting an attorney without further delay, or having your family contact an attorney, to discuss further. The timetables are generally very short in these types of settings. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.