Goleta, CA asked in Divorce and Real Estate Law for California

Q: My Ex has not made good on his promise to buy me out of our home. Can I take him to court to get this resolved?

We agreed to keep the assets out of the divorce and handle it amicably between us. This was not entered into our divorce decree. Twice he has given me a verbal that he would refinance and buy me out. Then he tells me he is waiting to use the equity in our home to purchase his parents home from his sibling when his parents pass. I have requested orally and in writing to have this resolved.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich
  • Studio City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: you can initiate a partition action and force his hand to sell the property or buy you out. you will need to consult with and hire a real estate attorney for such a legal action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.