Marrero, LA asked in Criminal Law for Louisiana

Q: Did the police legally search my mancave?

The sheriffs office of the parish I live in in Louisiana searched my man cave which is in the back yard of my grandmothers property. I was arrested earlier that day. My grandmother was alone sleeping in the house. The officer didn’t make his presence known to her. They crawled through the dog door and searched my mancave which is not connected to the house and found various items of drug related evidence. They also intentionally left some drug related evidence stating to leave that for next time. The warrant described the main building only by stating color and trim, and did not mention curtilage or any other outbuildings on the property. They knew I was in custody in another parish and couldn’t destroy evidence. The search was conducted around midnight.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: This sounds defensible and something you should certainly seek a consult or 2 with criminal defense attorneys in your area. Usually unless exigent circumstances exist, law enforcement usually does not take this action without a warrant. If there is a warrant, then you need to determine whether the search was within the warrant----all reasons to consult with criminal defense attorneys about this----good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.