Palm Bay, FL asked in Traffic Tickets for Florida

Q: Can I fight a FL ticket written to the wrong person?

My son caused a fender bender with no damage done. The ticket was written to the other driver who was not at fault. Does he HAVE to call the officer to correct it or can he get out of it due to technicality?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Michael  Mayoral
Michael Mayoral
  • Coral Gables, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The best advice I can give is that neither of you should contact the officer and you should hire a traffic ticket attorney for your son and explain the situation to them.

Terrence H Thorgaard agrees with this answer

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If your son shows up at the hearing, the officer will testify, assuming the officer was a witness to the accident or an admission by one of the people involved in the accident. At that point your son can cross-examine the officer to expose the mistake.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.