Nashville, TN asked in Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee

Q: Is a renter allowed to ask a tenant to move out even tho the tenant has done nothing wrong?

I live in a mobile home. My landlord, whose name is on the land, passed away in April. We had a verbal agreement, with his brother as a witness, that said I am allowed to live here as long as I wish and said on multiple occasions that his daughters will honor that if anything happens. I have been a great tenant, paying my rent to deceased landlords daughter. She is now telling me I need to move out so her sister can live here. Are they allowed to tell me to move out? Or should I have them go thru the eviction process?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Yes the owners can recover possession. A Detainer Warrant is the usual method, but there are others. Your oral agreement is not enforceable past a month. You should have expected this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.