Jensen Beach, FL asked in Child Custody for Florida

Q: I am trying to get visitation time with my son, his mother will not allow me. What county do I file in, hers or mine?

My sons mother will not allow me to see my son, I live in St Lucie and she is in Pinellas. What county do I need to file in with the court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Question number one is have you been to court before? If the answer is yes then file where you were in court before. If you have never been to court then you can file where either parent lives; however, it is probably better to file where the child lives since the court will have more control, legally speaking.

Look for a local family lawyer that can give you a free or inexpensive consultation to get more specific advice for where you live.

Terrence H Thorgaard agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.