Atlanta, GA asked in Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for California

Q: How to hire a lawyer for hourly advice on personal injury case?

I'm currently a Plaintiff in a Personal Injury suit that's been on the judge's trial calendar for almost 3 years. I initially hired a lawyer, however, since motions halted pending decisions from the Judge (Summary judgement, and Motion for Bifurcation from Defendant), I'm currently Pro Se to mitigate costs.

My question is: I want to know the best way to have another lawyer review and advise on the best course of action, without needing to retain them as permanent counsel. Should I simply contact firms for an hourly rate, or is this frowned upon in the legal profession? TIA

1 Lawyer Answer
Theodore Allan Greene
Theodore Allan Greene
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Getting rid of your contingency lawyer didn't "mitigate" your costs. It, in essence, will dramatically increase your costs if you now hire a lawyer on an hourly basis. I think it's very risky for you to be pro per with some of the things that you claim have gone on in your case. Without knowing more it's hard to say. You probably could hire a lawyer on an hourly basis - but expect to front a big retainer and then be charged hourly for whatever work is remaining. And that could be a large number. Does your prior attorney have a lien on your case? That is something else to factor in. Contact a few local attorneys and ask them what their hourly rate is and then decide. But you really should have an attorney on your side.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.