Ontario, CA asked in Civil Rights for California

Q: The police helped someone steal my car

My car was impounded for not being registered. I had a moving permit when I was pulled over but he still impounded my car. I bought the car from a guy who had never registered the car in his name. He had just bought the car from a lien sale a few days before I bought it from him. He gave me all the paperwork from the lien sale and the bill of sale. He gave me all the info of the registered owner with his address. So when I was pulled over I gave the officer all the paperwork I had and I explained the situation to him. But when he gave me the ticket it showed the guy I bought the car from as the registered owner. I told the officer that he was not the registered owner I gave him the paperwork with the actual registered owners info he just said your going to have to figure that out with pd. Aug 10 my car was impounded. The dmv said that the guy that sold me the car had no interest in the car until Aug 17 when he registered the car in his name then picked the car up and is trying to sell

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Get yourself a good lawyer, someone who knows civil rights cases. There are many such good lawyers in your area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.