Murrieta, CA asked in Estate Planning for California

Q: my mother passed away and she I am her successor trustee What steps do I need to execute to transfer of her assets?

I am trying to use her funds to pay her bills after she passed away this thanksgiving...Please advise

I have the trust papers designating me as her trust successor. what is the process for closing out her bank accounts and certificates of deposit? transferring her real property so that I can keep her bills on track Please advise

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie King
Julie King
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Monterey, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You're asking how to administer a trust, which is a detailed process that cannot be easily explained in a sentence or two. This website is meant for quick questions and answers, not explaining a five month process that involves formal notices required by law (the content of which is very specific and detailed in the law.) So, unfortunately, I cannot give you a short and sweet answer on how to administer a trust. You may want to start by asking your mother's bank what documents it requires in order to transfer the trustee from your mother to you. But, there is much more involved. I suggest you contact a lawyer to advise you if you do not know what to do. There is personal liability for trustees, so you want to be sure you do it correctly. Best wishes!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.