Asked in Immigration Law, Civil Rights and International Law

Q: Hello, My friend overstayed their visa for about 5 years in israel, they are US citizens. What happens now?

What state will they be deported to, who pays for the flight? Do they get deported immediantly? Id like to know what happens once they reach the U.S. too.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: This is a forum that provides general information about U. S. Immigration law. I am unaware of anyone who practices Israel immigration and deportation. However, more information will be needed for an Israeli attorney can figure this out.

Where is your friend? Is your friend is now being detained by Israeli authorities before deportation to the U.S.? Did this person go through a procedure before a deportation order is/was issued? The Nation of Israel likely has a unit that decides where and when to send U.S. citizens. Does your friend have immediate family members who can contact the Israeli Agency or the U.S. Embassy? Israel may have to coordinate with U.S. authorities, so contacting Citizen Services at the U. S. Embassy in Jerusalem may help. It is unclear if your friend has violated other U.S. laws that contributed to him/her being deported to the U.S. if so, then that can prove to be an issue upon his/her return to the U.S.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.