Milpitas, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Would there be any issue with immigration in the US for my parents?

My parents are planning to visit the US (they have a B2 visa). They will be staying here with me for a couple of weeks and then will leave for Canada (they have a Canadian visit visa too).

Another question I have is, My parents will stay in Canada for 3-4 months and then visit me again for a couple of months in 2022. Would there be any issue with immigration then?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI

A: It is always the discretion of the Border Patrol Officer to determine whether a foreigner applying to enter the US should be admitted under the requirements for the visa category that the foreigner has at the time of the application for admission to the US. So for a tourist (among other general requirements such as no criminal history, good health, etc), this means proving to the officer that the foreigner is coming to the US temporarily, can support him/herself while in the US, and fully intends to return to their home country after the temporary visit. You don't mention any facts that may be "problematic" and travel to Canada itself is not a problem as long as their B2 visa is still valid at the time that they plan to return to the US. If you have additional facts that may complicate the matter, I recommend doing a paid consultation with an experienced immigration attorney. Best wishes!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.