Dallas, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: Hello,Would it be easier (faster) for me or my mom to file form i-30 for my father ( as a daughter or spouse)? Thank you

My mom and I are both US citizens and would like to file form I-30 for my father and i wanted to know which one of us should petition for him ti get faster and easier results?

Thanks so much in advance

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI

A: As long as you/the child are over 21 years of age the process to sponsor your father is basically the same except that if your mom files, it will involve a bit more paperwork because she will have to prove that her marriage to your father is "real" (not entered into to gain an immigration benefit). However, if you file and your income is insufficient to sponsor your father, you will require having a co-sponsor (some additional paperwork involved). It's always a good idea to do a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney to go over the process, requirements and options. Best wishes!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.