Toledo, OH asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: Can I sue my landlord for mental duress?

I have notified our property management, as well as maintenance, that I need at least a few hours notice before someone shows up to my apartment because I have severe PTSD. They have sent maintenance without notice multiple times since, and continue to ignore requests for prior notice. This has caused me to have several episodes and much stress. Is this something I can sue over? It's been over a year of this same situation and I just can't get them to listen. There are other issues, and at this point, this effects my day to day life in many negative ways.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Your landlord is required to give advanced notice, usually 24 hours, before sending people absent an emergency. You can refuse to have the contractors come in without this notice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.